We've had an accumulation of changes, two of which we wanted
to get out quickly, and which are now posted in the 1.85.5 release. The first
change is an important fix to the resolve-to-target resolution when copying
changes between snapshots. If your source revision is derived from the target
revision and not on a branch, then the source is copied to the target rather
than the target revision being kept. This defect is in the client, not the
server, so all users should update to avoid this occurring.
The second change improves the robustness of the server. We
recently had a customer whose server would become unresponsive. After
restarting, it would run for a while, then again become unresponsive.
Eventually, we discovered that someone was running many parallel wls commands
on many snapshots to see if anything had changed. The 100+ commands starting in
an instant were overloading the server and putting it into a state where it
thrashed without doing much real work. The result was that normal user activity
became impossible. Of course they stopped running the overloading commands, but
we also wanted to better handle this situation in the server. The new release
does that by queuing the excess requests until they can be handled efficiently.
With the change, the server throughput remains high under heavy load, and
hundreds of parallel commands can complete efficiently.
A third change is that the Compare Browser now shows a check
in comment summary for each file. I've already greatly appreciated how this
helps quickly understand what changes I am copying. Which points out how even
"little" features can have a big impact. By improving understanding of actions
being taken, users are more confident, make fewer mistakes and ultimately are
more productive. And that is always our goal.
For a complete list of user-visible changes, see the
In the past month, we've also added the ability to import
revision history from subversion. All revisions, comments, change dates and SVN
states are imported, with the SVN states mapped to release snapshots with
sequential relationships. Branches and file merges are also correctly imported.
If you have an SVN repository to import, let me know. We are looking for more
repositories to test on.
As always, we welcome your feedback and ideas.